Wednesday, April 9, 2014

A FUNNY new book of ESSAYS by a cute dude B.J. Novak

I watch Ellen DeGeneres faithfully every day.  It is truly the brightest moment of each day.

She had a guest on recently, B.J. Novak.  He is awfully handsome.  He was charming, intelligent and funny.

According to Wikipedia his bio is:
"Benjamin Joseph Manaly "B. J." Novak is an American actor, stand-up comedian, screenwriter, author, and director."

Most of you may know him from television show, The Office. He both acted in and wrote for the funny show.  Currently, he serves as producer on Mindy Kaling's (fellow The Office alumni) series titled The Mindy Project.

Novak's appearance on Ellen DeGeneres was to plug his recently released book, One More Thing: Stories and Other Stories.  The book jacket self-describes it as "an endlessly entertaining, surprisingly sensitive, and startlingly original debut that signals the arrival of a brilliant new voice in American fiction."


I just finished the book and enjoyed it immensely.  It is a bit reminiscent of Augusten Burroughs or David Sedaris…..even DeGeneres in print.   There are so many gems in this book.   But two of my favorites included:  "Sophia" (a short story about the world's first sex robot with the capacity to fall in love), "Walking on Egshells" (or:  When I Loved Tony Robbins), and "The Rematch" (the story about two races between a tortoise and a hare).

Some of the stories are funny.  Others are cleverly funny.  A few are poignantly funny.   Some provide great social commentary in the unique way only comedy can.   Read this book.  After all……..if he can be that cute, plus be as smart, funny and articulate as the book reveals, then he deserves success.

To order the book on amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/One-More-Thing-Stories-Other/dp/0385351836.    For more information about sexy Mr. Novak:  click here

I thoroughly enjoyed this book.  I hate to admit that it is the first book that I've read in months (because of school).  I struggled through the Steve Jobs biography.   As much as I was a curious, I think I won't be able to finish it.    As fascinating and admirable as he was he seems to have been a monster too.  I have this weird rule that I will not start a new book until I've finished the book I'm reading.  I've broken that sacred rule now.  The Jobs book may not be finished.   But I'm so glad that I moved on to Novak's erudite and funny book.

No comments:

Post a Comment