Tuesday, August 8, 2017

R.I.P. to the legendary singer Barbara Cook.





R.I.P. Barbara Cook who had one of the most luminescent and distinct voices in the last 100 years.  And she was a master musical "storyteller".  I feel so privileged to have heard her live in concert since my twenties.  I have relished every single album she ever recorded (and they were numerous).  She covered so many to the famous composers in recent musical history.  I remember watching several television concerts (I think they were PBS--let us hope that future generation will not know and appreciate what PBS is and has done).

See the New York Times article from today:  https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/08/theater/barbara-cook-dead.html

I loved all of her portfolio.  She san all the standard Broadway composers, especially the brilliance of her voice in the 50's and 60's Broadway shows that she originated such Leonard Bernstein's Candide and The Music Man, the latter of which garnered her a Tony Award.  She struggled with alcoholism and successfully overcame it.  Gordon Cox, in Variety.com obituary date 8/8/17 shared a quote from Cook:  "For some reason, it occurred to me that if I could find a way to really learn who I am and put that into my work, then there could be no real competition — because there’s only one of me.”

She did.  Following her Broadway career she became a major cabaret/concert singer star for decades. Her voice was always an amazing instrument.  Cook was a deserved recipient of the Kennedy Center Honors in 2011.  It appears that she continued to perform until 2010.

I will always be a devotee to the genius of this artist.

One of my favorite songs that she recorded and sang in concert was Janis Ian's, "Stars".   Her rendition truly breaks my heart.  You can see a youtube video of this song by clicking here here:  https://youtu.be/cuUjb9cHJiU

What an amazing life of contribution to art and music and entertainment for decades.  What beauty she brought to the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment